Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Book Pile Acquired


Writers read. Or at least, we're supposed to. For a long time, I wasn't reading all that much at all. I probably got through a book once every couple of months.

Of course, as you all know, I've resolved to read a book every week this year. My recent slew of orders from both Barnes & Noble and Amazon is going to, at the very least, get me started on that goal. The books are pictured above, in no particular order (although the boxsets do make pretty good bookends).

From left to right:

  • The Dark Tower Volumes 1-4 Boxset by Stephen King. I had already read The Gunslinger and loved it, but I didn't own a copy, so it made sense to add these to my collection.
  • Inheritance by Christopher Paolini. A conclusion to a great series. I've been meaning to get this for a while.
  • A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. Honestly, I bought this for the hype more than anything else.
  • The Tribe of One Trilogy by Simon Hawke. In these fantasy novels, a young man with serious mental issues leaves his desert village, where he doesn't belong. Sound familiar? It's a lot like The Third Face. Naturally, I was curious to see how it compares. I'll let you know in my review of the trilogy soon enough.
  • The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett. The Discworld series, recommended by my buddy Duth Olec, is supposed to be the height of comedic fantasy. Where can I go wrong with that?
  • Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card. Since I really loved Ender's Game, I of course wanted to check out the next in the series.
  • City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. I know nothing about this book, but it won Book of the Month over at the West Michigan Sci-Fi and Fantasy Fans group on Facebook. I think I can trust them for a good recommendation.
  • Percy Jackson and the Olympians 5-book Boxset by Rick Riordan. I read The Lightning Thief back in high school, and I enjoyed it a lot, but I don't even remember it very well. This time, I'll read through the whole series.
How big is your pile of books to read? What's in it?

1 comment:

  1. I've re-read The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson four times in a row now. This book speaks to me like none other, and it just keeps getting better and better each time. Other than that, I've been too "busy" with writing and procrastinating to pick up a book and read it. (Blasphemy!)

    blog.katmellon.com

    ReplyDelete