Thursday, December 6, 2012

Drabble Thursdays #1






Today we get some of the first drabbles I've written. In the beginning I obviously had no idea what I was doing, but then I started warming up to it. Have a look!

DISCLAIMER: Drabbles may suck.
11/29/2012
She was starving. The night had drawn long, and she hadn't eaten since the morning. At her age, it was already painful just to move, let alone in this awful condition. She made a scratching noise at the door that towered over her, trying to get inside, but only heard shouting back at her. She could not rest, though, until she had her food! She kept at it until finally, the door opened for her. Gleefully she rushed into the kitchen and gorged herself on the food that was there. Afterward, the cat's owner picked her up and petted her.

11/30/2012
The shapeshifter's assistant walked into the room, and gestured toward the safe. “The body is in. His possessions are out. I have reason to believe everyone is convinced that you truly are the Count. Your disguise is flawless.”
“Good,” said the shapeshifter. “Now where did you store his possessions?”
The assistant didn't answer. Instead, he pulled a pistol from his belt and shot the shapeshifter in the head, before he could change into someone else. He opened the safe and walked out of the room, thinking of what he'd do with the valuables.
This one will have the police stumped.

12/01/2012
The boy walked on through the blizzard, pulling his robe about him. The gate was just open enough to let him inside. He went into the city, and inside its church. There, he produced a tattered book from his robe. The priest inside studied its contents for a moment, then waved the boy into a small door in the back. Inside, the boy found all of the materials he needed: the candles and the circles. In his book he found his incantations, and began to chant. He was only ten years old, but he was ready to begin the summoning.

12/02/2012
I never realized what I was doing, before. I guess it all just seemed like... coincidence. I would say something in unison with a girl I liked, just by chance. My answers on an open-ended assignment would be the same as one or several of my friends' answers. (I found that out because the teacher thought one of us was copying.)
These days I don't really believe in coincidence anymore. That's how I know it must be something special. I have something unique. I'm not reading people's minds, not on purpose, anyway. But I am connected with everyone around me.

12/03/2012
MAIL THIEF KILLED IN THE ACT
Local Post Office worker Morris Brown was confirmed in the theft of several packages when a neighbor found him dead Tuesday morning.
The cause of death: anthrax poisoning. The package had been intended for a local family, but Brown, who has been stealing packages for several weeks, added it to his collection of stolen items in his home. That's when he opened it and discovered its shocking contents, police said.
“This is a terrible day for us,” says Police chief Ryan Hohn. “All we had was a mail thief. Now we're dealing with terrorists.”

12/04/2012
PIZZA DRIVER RUNS OVER CHICKEN
The Baron Von Doktor, owner of a local farm, has pressed charges against Steve McGee, a driver from Pi's Pizza, ran over his chicken.
Ich habe viele Hühner,“ the Baron told us in an exlusive interview. “Ich schlachten. Ich mache sie Eier legen. Aber das Huhn... das Huhn war etwas Besonderes für mich. Das Huhn war mein Freund!“
It is currently a complete mystery what any of his speech means. Translators were apparently too busy working on the legal issues, and had no time to speak with reporters. How we spelled everything correctly is unknown.

12/05/2012
A thud interrupted Eric's reading. When footsteps followed, he went out to the hallway to look, and ran into a curious man.
“Hello,” said the man. “Sorry, just dropping in.”
“I've seen you before,” said Eric.
Just then Eric's mother came up the stairs and stopped short. “Who the hell are you?!” she cried. “Get off my property!”
“Mum, I think it's the Doctor!” Eric exclaimed.
“You can both leave, then.”
They tried to object, but Eric's mother herded them out onto the street.
“Well,” said the man, “Guess I'll have to do normal people stuff a while.”
DOCTOR WHO


That last one was meant to be sort of an intro to a bit of fan fiction I was considering yesterday morning. Unfortunately, 100 words is not long enough to get a full "episode opening" the way I was planning, and I left out... the vast majority of it. Who knows if I'll get the time together to actually write that?

No comments:

Post a Comment