Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Bridge of Time

The thing about NaNo novels is that they change.

Like, one year my novel about a prince who dreamed up the entire real world turned into a dark adventure featuring a memory-eating tower and a collection of souls in jars. Another year, it started out with a homeless guy fighting to retain ownership of his hat, and ended up as a vast, deadly game between two gods on a bet.

This one has already changed before. Let's recap: originally this was supposed to be about a depressed guy doing crazy and stupid things due to a Homestuck obsession. Then the depressed guy started getting therapy and help, and the novel was supposed to be about him becoming a better man.

It turns out that I am just naturally required to take it up a notch. And thus, what I have today.

Shortly after making Aaron attempt suicide, and seeing the consequences, I decided I wasn't too happy with them. I began an alternate scenario where he decides not to jump. Instead he murders Anise, who is oddly forgiving to him about that fate. I named this section "Timeline B" for convenience.

Then I dabbled in "Timeline A" again. Yes, apparently, I can't let go of either of them. That only leads me to one conclusion: I have to form a connection between them. Thus, I recently wrote a scene previewing the construction of this mysterious Bridge of Time, which will be used for just that purpose. The interesting thing, which I have not yet revealed, is exactly who is building said bridge...

The end is near. I'm hoping to hit 40,000 words tonight, and once I do, it'll be indisputably time to accelerate into the ending zone. I like the ending zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment