Friday, November 9, 2012

Complete Direction Change

You know all that stuff about Homestuck and all that I said about what this novel is about, and where it's meant to go?

Well, that's all gone out the window. My original concept is gone. I realized a while ago that the "hilarity ensues" part was not happening, and it just took me until now to see that everything I was talking about actually wasn't going to be a big part of my novel. Sure, I talked about Homestuck at length, but Aaron's obsession with it only led to the way things are right now.

Naturally, once the breakup happened, Aaron was crushed. He took solace in the online adventures, but his desire to find a "moirail" (someone who calms you down when you're doing something crazy) led him to the idea of attempting suicide. Now he's jumped off a building and just about everything in his body is broken. Lovely!

So now he has a therapist, a really kooky guy named Ed Morse who embraces insanity and embodies confidence. (If you get the connection in that character, hats off to you.) This is where he becomes a role model for Aaron, and suddenly the older man is giving him tons of dating advice. Coincidentally, and unbeknownst to Aaron, Anise is also going to Ed for dating coaching!

The result of this, and the way Aaron grows up and becomes someone worth respecting, is the new future of this novel. Almost halfway in and I just now figured that out! He could still do something crazy and self-damaging again, but I doubt it. Looks like after 20,000 words I'm finally making this depressing  book into something positive. And that's just a good thing for everyone, now, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment