Sunday, April 24, 2011

Opinion Time

Alright, I know I don't have a whole lot of people reading this blog, but for those of you who do, I have a question. Would you be interested in a book that features two or three very short novellas? They'd be mostly unrelated but share a common tone. I have two in mind, but if you don't think that's substantial enough, I'll probably have a third idea by the time I finish working on the other two.

The first is actually a full-length novel that I wrote, but I think about 80% of it is unnecessary, so it'll be cut down for sure. It's about a high school boy named Morty who suddenly wakes up from a coma to find that his whole life is a dream, and that he's actually an 11-year-old exiled prince in "real life." Somehow he has to resolve the two worlds, get his body back in shape, and retake his kingdom from the fiend who's been bottling souls...

The second novella focuses on a child named Daniel, and the young man, Zach, who must accompany him as he sets off on a trip to a lonely church. There, Zach will discover what's in the blocked-off area behind the church, the secret of Daniel's apparent depression, and why the little boy's books must never leave his sight...

Both novellas are about young men whose ordinary lives, on the brink of truly beginning, are twisted by the realm of fantasy in an unusual way. They deal with the relationship between adults and children, and the value place on each event and decision in a person's life. Also, a bit of trivia: the second novella is actually based on a dream I had, so there's a connection there, too.

So what do you think? Should I do it? Maybe you think I should try to develop each idea into a full-length (with the crap cut)? Or perhaps this is a waste of time and I should be focusing on the big stuff like The Third Face and the series revolving around it.

2 comments:

  1. Hey it's Underbrain!
    Sure, seems like a good idea to me. Like, working on it during breaks of revision, though probably not fully until you've written one or two novels.
    This reminds me of Paul Auster's New York Trilogy, except, I assume your stories will be slightly more understandable and not leave infinite questions remaining???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should go for it! Writers write, and if you're not writing anything else and these stories are calling to you then what's stopping you? Revisions??? Bah - it's called multi-tasking ;) it almost seems like you're asking "Is this something I should work on for publication later?". If it's a story you need to get out of your head, write it. If it's a story you want to publish later, still write it, but don't write it to be published. Not everything we write gets published, but we can ALWAYS learn something from everything we write.

    ReplyDelete