Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Super Script

As a 3-time winner of NaNoWriMo (the act of writing a 50,000-word novel in just one month) I tend to enjoy a challenge, especially when it comes to writing. So it's no surprise that I am in the midst of Script Frenzy, an event in which you have one month to write 100 pages of, you guessed it, a script.

So which one is more difficult? Last year, the novel I wrote for NaNoWriMo came out to 99 pages, so there's not too much difference there. You would think that if you wrote a lot of short lines in your script--maybe having a bunch of characters that interrupt each other--you could get away with making Script Frenzy a lot easier.

But the truth is, Script Frenzy is by far the more difficult task. Unless you already have experience with writing scripts (which I only have a tiny bit of), it can be disorienting and strange. I even split the requirement into two scripts with, naturally, a goal of at least 50 pages each. That should allow me all kinds of creative options, right? Yet I'm still over a day behind already!

The first script is a 10-part comic series based on a certain popular game. I know, doing things like this probably isn't the best move for a writer, but give me a break. Besides, I'll probably actually draw it this summer, and that'll just be fun for all!

The other one is an original anime series in 6 parts. When Eric is accused of killing his new, mysterious girlfriend Alyssa, the only place to run is an elevator to Hell. I've had the two characters of Eric and Alyssa in my head for quite a few years, and they've finally found a home in this story, currently titled "The Next Floor Down."

That won't stop me from bringing you guys some more information this April, like a promise I've had here for a long time but never delivered on. Stay tuned for a sneak preview of a new, unreleased novel I had the luck to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment