Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Interview by Duth Olec

Quick note: The Third Face's website is now up with tons of information on it.

Now to the actual entry. Duth Olec is a fellow author and a close friend of mine. I was surprised earlier today when he initiated an interview with me about the publication of The Third Face, but I'm glad to share it with everyone.

Duth: How are you publishing the book? Is it the same place you got the 5 free copies?

Me: Yes. That special offer is through CreateSpace, and once I got everything ready to print those 5 copies I realized it was a good way to publish it.

Duth: And after those first five you're paying for the publishing of each one?

Me: Not exactly. The process is not your typical publishing. Basically, when a person orders the book, Createspace prints a copy for that person, and the manufacturing cost is paid for as part of the price of the book. They also get a further cut for their service, and the rest goes to me as royalties.

Duth: And would an e-book cost less due to there not really being a manufacturing cost?

Right. E-books typically cost between 99 cents and $3, whereas the paperback edition of The Third Face is set to be priced at $6.99. I haven't decided on the e-book version's price just yet.

Duth: Does this count as self-publishing?

Yes. Createspace is handling the printing, shipping, and transactions for me, but I have to do all of the actual promotion of my book myself. That's why I've been making a lot of blog posts, putting up a website and Facebook page for it, and even making a Twitter--I want people to start noticing it before it comes out.

Duth: Do you think you'll still try to get The Third Face picked up by a publishing house?

If it gets noticed and I get a really good offer from a company that can promote it effectively, then I'll gladly accept. But I don't see myself sending any more query letters any time soon.

Duth: One last question--what are your plans for this summer?

Well, I'm still looking for a job, but I hope to have done quite a bit more reading and writing by then. I'm in the middle of the Inheritance Cycle and The Hunger Games Trilogy right now, and as for the next book I write--well, I've got a half dozen here waiting to get going!

Duth: Thanks for answering a million questions.

1 comment:

  1. The funny thing is the interview was just me planning to copy your plans. I mean uhh ETRYTUKIY

    ReplyDelete