Tuesday, February 28, 2012

New Concept: Assumptions

Authors often talk about discovering a story through writing it. These people say that while they have plans in their minds, their characters usually refuse to cooperate, and the story goes drastically off track and becomes something else entirely.

I have a feeling I've got a special case of that here. You see, this newest idea of mine comes straight from my subconscious, apparently with a fair amount of development. It came to me in a dream, complete with several characters and even a title. I don't know what the title, Assumptions, has to do with the rest of it yet, but if I start writing it, everything should become clear eventually.

The opening scene is set in some kind of college. The protagonist, Samuel, is struggling to make sense of the paperwork and find his first class, either Metalworking or Eyes and Vision (he forgot). When he tries to ask the nearest instructor for help, he finds himself waiting in a very long line that runs along a large circle of chairs, stuck behind a chubby, boastful man and a quiet young boy.

What really catches his attention is the appearance of a young woman with huge, strange eyes and sharp fangs. He's terrified by this Ziziere, but what's worse is the hissing instructor who scolds her for bothering him. This, it turns out, is the Eyes and Vision instructor, Mr. Oovalid. He demonstrates his ability to produce visions of a person's inner demons by performing on Samuel. But to his horror, he sees not just any creatures, but a massive army.

This is definitely something I want to explore. I've essentially revealed everything I know about this story, and I'm even more hooked than I would be if I'd read this as the beginning of someone else's work. If I can motivate myself to write every day, then this and Hopedead will keep me very occupied for a long time. And that's not even talking about my main series. I have my work cut out for me, and it's going to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment