Monday, November 7, 2011

Hats and Their Owners

A week has come and gone since NaNoWriMo started this year, and I've mostly forgotten to keep this blog updated with my progress, but luckily here's some more about it beyond that little bit you got in the first post.

I was thinking about calling it "Hats and Their Owners," and that's the tentative title I'm using for now. However, it's actually only half about the man in the strange-looking hat now. Although the next character to be introduced was a creepy, nongender person trying to steal the hat, it was the one after that who managed to take over at least half of the story.

Natalia is pretty much the opposite of Matt, the main character. She works in a lab making tons of money and spends almost all of her time in her lavish home, either relaxing or... communing with occult forces. It's one of these mysterious spirits that drives her half to madness as her story begins to play out: she's been given a very important mission by one of them, but she can't remember what it is!

Other things that this novel has proven to include are a near-drowning experience, extreme vanity, a campfire, a rage-induced beating on a store worker, fantasies about the perfect tiny house, kidnapping at the hands of small children, and finally, a short car ride taking place entirely in rhyme.

Despite all these fun shenanigans, I'm starting to have a bit of trouble. I had no time to work on it on Sunday (yesterday), so now all my hard work getting ahead has been canceled out. Unfortunately, I'm starting to face the reality that every Sunday might as well be counted out of my writing schedule. That takes away 4 days total, increasing the amount of writing I have to do each day as I go on. But today, for whatever reason, I can hardly seem to get out even the normal goal. I'll keep trying, but I still have a ways to go.

Of course, this is about where it usually gets kind of difficult each year. There's nothing new about that. I have to remember this, but I also can't use it as an excuse not to do my best right now thinking I'll make up for it when the end is near. Being behind doesn't feel good, and I have more people watching for my success than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment